The following list of foods are what I feel are the most unhealthy and should be avoided. This isn't just for those looking to lose weight, but for everyone that would like to avoid diseases as well. I've researched many of these foods and they should be limited, if not eliminated from your diet altogether.
1. Aspertame. I know aspartame has been in the news recently, with some experts saying it's not dangerous in small amounts. I question this as I've read many different views on the subject. At the very least, it causes headaches and some severe cases have been reported about links to MS. This is a chemical discovered in a scientific lab. It doesn't sound very safe to me, and I would rather avoid disease than listen to the occasional reports that say it's okay to consume. I recommend trying stevia, a natural sweetener instead.
2. White Bread. It's made from refined flour and has virtually no nutrients and fiber. It will cause your blood sugar to spike and can lead to obesity.
3. Potato Chips. Again, this is a food that has very little nutritional value. One of the many problems with potato chips are that they are high in sodium. If you have problems with your blood pressure, you should especially avoid these snacks.
4. Candy Bars. My favorite candy bar before I lost the weight was Reese's. Now, I won't touch the stuff. I want to keep the weight off, and candy is definitely a food to avoid to keep my weight in check!
5. Ice Cream. There's high amounts of saturated fat and sugar in ice cream! Another one of my old favorites, something I avoid to keep in shape! I know people say it's okay in moderation, but I don't want to start a habit where I consume it everyday again!
6. Soda. I mean any soda… diet or regular. There is nothing good for you in soda. The diet version has aspartame and may cause an increase in your hunger. The regular sodas are loaded with sugar. These drinks should be avoided at all costs! I gave up soda almost two years ago and I don't miss it at all. Try unsweetened iced tea instead. If you want to add some sweetness to it, add stevia.
7. Sugary Yogurts. Yes, yogurt can be healthy, especially Greek Yogurt, but most yogurts have at least 10 grams of sugar. Go for the Greek Yogurt varieties without sugar in them, and add some fruit or stevia to sweeten them.
8. Chicken Nuggets. When I found out all the ingredients that are in chicken nuggets, I thought I was going to be sick! I've heard that there are well over 30 ingredients in a typical Chicken McNugget from McDonald's. This highly processed food should not be consumed! You really don't know what your eating when you have chicken nuggets. Look up the ingredients sometime and see for yourself!
9. Red Meat. This is another food that I gave up. The problem with most red meat is that it comes from cows that are fed corn and antibiotics. Cows cannot digest corn and often suffer from heartburn. If you must consume red meat, choose the grass fed variety.
10. Hot Dogs, Bacon or Deli Meats with Nitrites. The added nitrites in these foods have been know to cause cancer. If you must eat these foods, search for varieties that say "Nitrite Free" on the label.
So that's my list. I compiled this list as a guide for those looking to get healthier for the New Year. This is just my opinion… I'd like to hear from others what they feel are unhealthy foods. You can comment below or post it on Facebook to share with the Healthy Living CT community. Hope you have a healthy and happy new year!