Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf
- Ready in: 30 minutes preparation, 50 minutes cooking.
- Serves: 5
- Complexity: medium
- Calories: 259
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.